I write about movies here and maybe sometimes some other stuff but mostly just movies. If you are looking for the old Cineblog postings because you are compiling a book or whatever, you can find them here.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Yes (2004, Sally Potter)

A lot of people seem to actively dislike this film, a relationship drama recited entirely in iambic pentameter, and for the first hour or so I was right behind them. The text sounded terribly forced, and despite good performances, the story wasn't really going anywhere for me. I actually pondered a walkout, because my next film was right after this and I hadn't had dinner. The main thread of the story involves an rich American woman getting into a relationship with a Lebanese chef, and about an hour in they have a conflict which is pretty predictable and kind of comes off like something off the op/ed pages. However it is at this point that the film really started to come together for me. Soon thereafter the movie takes off in an amazing way, and by the time it was over I was filled with relief that I chose to stick with it. A great surprise, thus far my second of third favorite movie of the fest. I could not believe that this was not sold out considering that Joan Allen was in attendance. She looks far younger in person than she does on the screen, and she was also starving-African-child skinny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home