I write about movies here and maybe sometimes some other stuff but mostly just movies. If you are looking for the old Cineblog postings because you are compiling a book or whatever, you can find them here.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Hey

So maybe yet again I will give this a shot. The last year has been extremely tumultuous, culminating in a 3600 mile drive to my new home in Seattle. It is cool here, there is no snow. This is good. The film action here has been far better than I expected. At the present time there are big retros going on for Bertollucci, Powell/Pressburger and Ozu. There's a small theatre giving week long runs to three old Howard Hawks comedies. I'm trying to figure out how to scam my way into film class screenings at U of W. The Seattle International Film Festival is probably the best fest in the country (especially if you're a film buff and not an industry type.) Scarecrow Video is the only place I've seen that gives Facets a run for its money, and it actually puts Facets to shame. Plus there are some good rock bands here and mountains and stuff. It's all good and I'm enjoying myself.

So there is stuff I've seen already since I've been here, and I probably won't spend much time on it. You can look it up in the list. Some very brief notes:

- Thelma Schoonmaker was in town and she did two events. First she gave a lecture on editing and presented a screening of Raging Bull, then did Q&A. It was 12:15 by the time they finally forced her to shut it down but she seemed like she would have been perfectly pleased to go for another hour or two. Second, she presented a screening of A Matter Of Life And Death and then did even more Q&A about her late husband Michael Powell. Both were really enjoyable, and she was a kind and gracious woman. Thank you.

- Speaking of Michael Powell, his films have thus far been this year's big revelation and I've only seen two. I was especially taken by The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp and its exquisite presentation of the ebbing and flowing of friendship.

- I have now seen three Ozus and I have to say I Was Born, But... is by far my favorite of them. Tokyo Story ranks a close second.

- Someone release The Conformist properly on DVD, OK? Please? PLEASE?

Now lets see if I can actually make this last more than a week or two.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Devlin said...

You're back! Luckily, I read Kza's blog or I wouldn't have known.

We've got The Conformist here in a few weeks and I still have 3 days left to see The Nomi Song on your recommendation.

Also, we got our plane tickets to Seattle for May. I'll be there for the first week of the fest. 5/21-5/29. I wish the schedule would come out soon, but I hear it won't drop until 2 weeks before the start of the fest.

11:11 AM

 
Blogger Greg Dunlap said...

I assume you've seen The Conformist? If not, I mean, GO! GO! The Nomi Song is playing here sometime coming soon, I saw a poster so maybe you can see it at Fest-Time if you miss it. I don't know exactly when. Fest should be a blast!

3:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home